Re: Why gnome-system-tools aren't included yet [Was: Re: new modulesconsensus]

>> Well, the problem is that the g-s-t maintainer might not have time to
>> split up his tarbll. Of course it's not his fault that it took this long
>> for it to be clear that he needs to do that (assuming that's our
>> consensus).
>
> Right now you can choose at configure time which tools do you want to
> compile:

>   --enable-boot           Enable build boot module (default yes)
>   --enable-network        Enable build network module (default yes)
>   --enable-services       Enable build services module (default yes)
>   --enable-time           Enable build time module (default yes)
>   --enable-users          Enable build users module (default yes)
>   --enable-disks          Enable build disks development module (default
> no)
>
> so it could be a matter of changing some defaults here, and this could
> still let package maintainers (i.e: The debian maintainer wants to
> keep all modules :) to enable them all.

Excellent. So, I don't see any objections (even from Havoc) to having
users/groups and date/time in GNOME 2.8, if you change the defaults so
that only those ones are built. Mark, do you agree? Let's give Carlos the
go-ahead.

I think there's lots of support for the Network tool as well, but I
haven't managed to persuade Havoc.

Personally, I would expect the others to be moved into a separate tarball
later, during GNOME 2.9/2.10. Otherwise, they just add to the
maintenence/translation workload, and they won't get the testing that you
want.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com