Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 18:52, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> I've always wandered why the kernel couldn't just broadcast on Dbus or
> something whenever such a file change occurs. DNotify and INOtify can

Because files change at an astronomical rate. Having some kind of
scalable notification is a known concern and inotify is in part meant to
help fix that.

> give notification but both require you to specify the files you want to
> watch which is inefficient for a filesystem wide one (which we would
> need to keep Nautilus' metadata in sync).

Which namespace ? Not that Nautilus can handle namespaces right at the
moment
anyway. What occurs if the file is on NFS and moved on another machine ?
What if I move it when Gnome isnt running.

Alan