File notification [was Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals]

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 19:12 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 18:52, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > I've always wandered why the kernel couldn't just broadcast on Dbus or
> > something whenever such a file change occurs. DNotify and INOtify can
>
> Because files change at an astronomical rate.

on servers, perhaps, but desktops should be more manageable. (you
obviously wouldn't want it enabled on servers!)

>  Having some kind of
> scalable notification is a known concern and inotify is in part meant to
> help fix that.
>
> > give notification but both require you to specify the files you want to
> > watch which is inefficient for a filesystem wide one (which we would
> > need to keep Nautilus' metadata in sync).
>
> Which namespace ? Not that Nautilus can handle namespaces right at the
> moment
> anyway. What occurs if the file is on NFS and moved on another machine ?
> What if I move it when Gnome isnt running.

I was thinking more along the lines of Medusa (as a daemon) managing the
metadata than Nautilus. Non-local and non-native partitions might
require additional notification mechanisms but that shouldn't stop us
having things like Medusa and indexers like Beagle which could "just
work" locally without having to watch every file on your hard drive.

jamie.