Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Llu, 2004-12-13 at 16:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Most of those (kde, mozilla, oo.org, eclipse at minimum) can be expected
> to track any fd.org standard. Samba/nfs don't make any sense as an
> issue, they are unaffected. And Motif apps already present a wildly
> different view of the filesystem than GNOME.

Samba is most definitely effected. I save a file into Desktop or into
Templates and it turns out to be elsewhere on other boxes. A pure
translation approach simply doesn't work. You are praying ever app
vendor follows your fdo specification and breaks compatibility
everywhere else. You are ignoring network and shell considerations.

You need a real path of some form to keep the user environment working,
symlinks, environment variables, whatever.

Alan