Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 00:23 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> But Motif doesn't force users to use English filenames, does it?
> (I don't really know, but I wouldn't have thought so.)

Motif would use the locale encoding and the old X font system, while we
would normally write filenames in UTF-8 unconditionally (not in locale
encoding). This would pretty much break Motif. If we did do filenames in
locale encoding, it would break Motif if you ever used two different
locales. So Motif is fairly hosed from an i18n-of-filenames point of
view.

> This is the main issue for me. Do we care about Motif and other old &
> weird toolkits showing English filenames to everyone, with no regard for
> their native language? I think we should avoid that if at all possible.

I would say instead "if at all possible without causing more important
problems"

Havoc