Re: G2.10 Module Proposal: Sound Juicer

On Sun, 2004-26-12 at 01:03 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:16:46 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > The default profile is an Ogg Vorbis profile.
>
> I know it'll be unpopular but there should probably be a warning about
> that. People who rip their audio wanting to use it on a portable MP3
> player will be rather annoyed otherwise.

Adding something to a discoverable place like yelp would be A Good
Thing, but a warning dialogue or something else than injects itself
would be exposing too much technical detail and cause the user to
believe exporting to OGG is a bug. We'd then have to explain the whole
patent and quality issues in the same breath.

> I'm lucky, I have an iAudio which plays Oggs beautifully. But if I was not
> a geek, I would not have looked for this, and I would not have thought to
> set the Sound Juicer preferences either.

I think this is a reason enough for providing an audio profile for mp3,
and to expose a semi-decent UI for changing to mp3 output, but honestly
did you receive a warning from your DVD player that it wouldn't play
VCDs? No you had to read the manual and do some basic research before
you put your money down.