Re: Scripting in Gnome

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 08:28, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I do not in any way see XML as high level and IDL as low level.
> IDL is about as high-level as you can get and still accomplish anything
> useful; so any XML representation would either have to be lower-level,
> or at the same level of granularity.
>
> This is my point about XML/IDL:   the kinds of interfaces we are
> interested in require something approximately like IDL in order to
> describe them.  Any attempt to do this in XML would in effect be writing
> an XML version of IDL, which doesn't seem particularly useful to me.
>

> - Bill

I'm not advocating switching to "some XML format" here, merely pointing
out that WSDL does a pretty good job of it and is pretty similar in
purpose to IDL.  IDL is a little more straightforward than WSDL, but
WSDL does things other than just defining the interface, such as
defining protocol bindings for that interface.
--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>