Re: freedesktop.org platform - preparing for release 1

Daniel Stone <daniel fooishbar org> writes:

> Hey dudes,
> I've just been appointed freedesktop.org release manager and am looking
> towards a freedesktop.org Platform release. I'm in the middle of tying
> up all our xlibs stuff (working out where existing modules are, cleaning
> them up, importing Xpm/Xaw), and making an xlibs release, then we get to
> look towards the fd.o Platform.

Sounds good!

> Basically, the platform will contain:
> 	* xlibs - our xlibs repository, maintained by Keith/Jim;
> 	* xserver - our X server, maintained by Keith/Jaymz/Eric;
> 	  + probably won't release with first platform
> 	* Cairo - this thing rocks;
> 	* D-BUS - pretty fundamental, desktop-wise;
> 	* other stuff.
>
> I'm in the process of working out what that 'other stuff' should be, so
> if you have any suggestions, please let me know. While stuff should
> preferably be hosted on fd.o, it's not an absolute requirement; and
> while I can RM other stuff if you want me to, I'm not going to take over
> your project, certainly if you don't want me to.

Along with intltool, perhaps pkg-config and desktop-file-utils should be
released as part of a freedesktop developer-utils release.  As for
scrollkeeper, there was interest in dropping it in favor of a better
solution.

> Jeff's timely discussion of intltool and scrollkeeper movements sort of
> petered out - guys, what sort of assistance would you be requiring to
> move this stuff over to fd.o?

Moving intltool to freedesktop CVS should be straightforward -- we just
need to do it.  The biggest concern I personally have with moving
packages from GNOME-CVS is that it's a bigger pain for translators on
that server.  intltool is (ironically) not translated at all so there's
no problem there, but things like the mime database suffering for not
having a better solution.

Thanks,
-Jonathan