Re: freedesktop.org platform - preparing for release 1

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:57:16AM -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Daniel Stone <daniel fooishbar org> writes:
> > Basically, the platform will contain:
> > 	* xlibs - our xlibs repository, maintained by Keith/Jim;
> > 	* xserver - our X server, maintained by Keith/Jaymz/Eric;
> > 	  + probably won't release with first platform
> > 	* Cairo - this thing rocks;
> > 	* D-BUS - pretty fundamental, desktop-wise;
> > 	* other stuff.
> >
> > I'm in the process of working out what that 'other stuff' should be, so
> > if you have any suggestions, please let me know. While stuff should
> > preferably be hosted on fd.o, it's not an absolute requirement; and
> > while I can RM other stuff if you want me to, I'm not going to take over
> > your project, certainly if you don't want me to.
>
> Along with intltool, perhaps pkg-config and desktop-file-utils should be
> released as part of a freedesktop developer-utils release.  As for
> scrollkeeper, there was interest in dropping it in favor of a better
> solution.

I think I've managed to co-opt pkg-config into the release. What's
desktop-file-utils, and where do I get it?

Do you have a link to the discussion(s) on scrollkeeper's
replacement(s)?

> > Jeff's timely discussion of intltool and scrollkeeper movements sort of
> > petered out - guys, what sort of assistance would you be requiring to
> > move this stuff over to fd.o?
>
> Moving intltool to freedesktop CVS should be straightforward -- we just
> need to do it.  The biggest concern I personally have with moving
> packages from GNOME-CVS is that it's a bigger pain for translators on
> that server.  intltool is (ironically) not translated at all so there's
> no problem there, but things like the mime database suffering for not
> having a better solution.

Hmm, I 'spose translation is an interesting problem, but we're willing
to give translators accounts.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel fooishbar org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,