Gnome3 platform? (was Re: Extending the Gnome search capabilities to be able to search in OOo files)

"Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm usm edu ec> writes:

> I think it would be good if things like storage and medusa could be
> pushed down the software stack, sort of "in-the-filesystem" or as a
> dependable, ubiquitous low-level service.

This sounds like a sound platform for Gnome 3.0 in my opinion.  Add to
that DBUS for lightweight message passing, HAL for better hardware
integration, freedesktop platform, and there we've got the full free
desktop system for the masses :)

(Not that Gnome is not already for the masses, of course ;)

I know it's too early to discuss this, but I'd like to see Gnome
*evolve* into 3.0 with the above requirements, rather than to see a
revolution comparable to 1.x -> 2.0 switch.  So, all API/ABIs would
stay compatible, but to be an "official" Gnome app, we'd require a
different level of integration, which would make use of all these
technologies that are currently in the making.

And my guess is this is at least another year in the future, so I
wonder what do the others think?

Cheers,
Danilo