Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 08:44 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > I'll have to look at it some more. I have to admit I haven't had time to
> > set it up myself yet, so I've been getting all my information about it
> > from your blog and your two pages :)
>
> Sorry dude, but this thread exists only due to this uninformed noise. We've
> been trying hard to discourage it on d-d-l -> what would your reaction be to
> a 'random gimp' replying to a proposal without trying it first? Not entirely
> savoury, I'm sure.

Oh, fuck off, Jeff. I'm trying to follow as well as one can from the
(thankfully very extensive) notes Mark has posted. If we limit the
discussion to the people who have actually downloaded and installed the
thing at this point, then we're damn well not letting it in to the
platform, because the evidence so far is that damn few people have done
that at all- which does not bode well for quality of testing, scope of
testing, or level of interest. It has /three/ bugs filed against it.
Ever. So either it is perfect code or I'm not the only one not using it.
I like Mark, but I'm guessing it isn't the first case.

> > > I neither said that was a reason for including it, nor think it would be
> > > a good reason for including anything.
> >
> > Jeff did, wasn't responding just to you :)
>
> (Raised mostly due to sheer gobsmacked surprise at having to justify it.)

When the justification in the original email was 'perhaps it is useful',
then yeah, more justification is needed, and I'm glad I stepped up and
raised questions, since some of the justification has since been
provided. It certainly has not come up any other way.

Luis