Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

<quote who="Luis Villa">

> Oh, fuck off, Jeff. I'm trying to follow as well as one can from the
> (thankfully very extensive) notes Mark has posted. If we limit the
> discussion to the people who have actually downloaded and installed the
> thing at this point, then we're damn well not letting it in to the
> platform

Desktop?

> because the evidence so far is that damn few people have done that at all-
> which does not bode well for quality of testing, scope of testing, or
> level of interest. It has /three/ bugs filed against it.  Ever. So either
> it is perfect code or I'm not the only one not using it.  I like Mark, but
> I'm guessing it isn't the first case.

I'd like to think that discussion about proposed modules would be informed
by actual use [1] of the proposed modules, *whoever* posts about it. It has
been proposed for GNOME, it's been around for a while, and it's not like
it's hard to install with jhbuild.

It's suboptimal, and not entirely appropriate to comment on proposed modules
without exposure to them, and I think my reaction was fairly reasonable
given that you'd stated "basically no integration with GNOME", etc., etc.

For everyone else listening in -> don't be surprised if you get flamed for
not testing before you post! jhbuild is just a checkout away! :-)

- Jeff

[1] Or even looking over the shoulder of someone using it.

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "PHP, when it first came out, didn't really have any merits, and many
    claim it still doesn't, but it filled a void where a simple tool to
            perform a simple task was needed." - Rasmus Lerdorf