Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 08:46, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > other-bits stuff (gdm, for example) would be in the 2.10 timeframe. I
> > > mean, we don't even have a VNC viewer- how is this different from
> >
> > How relevant are gdm type bits anyway. Out of the box you can already
> > set up Xvnc + gdm + a couple of scripts to server desktops on demand to
> > any VNC client where the desktop only has a VNC existance.
> >
> > That covers most of that kind of use - things like having
> >
> > 	http://my.box.com
> >
> > serve a web page with java appet and gdm to all comers
>
> This gives none of the session reuse functionallity that the vino gdm
> integration strives for.

	Yeah, the whole point behind doing it in gdm rather than the usual
xinetd + Xdmcp hack was the session reconnection stuff - when you
disconnect GDM can keep your session around and reconnect you to your
session again once you've authenticated.

Cheers,
Mark.