Re: Proposed: gnome-volume-manager

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:59:10PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:45:18PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Andrew Sobala">
> > > * Requires user to enter command lines to run programs.  [ This can be
> > > fixed in the long term with an fd.o "Application capabilities" spec, but
> > > not for GNOME 2.8]
> >
> > Totally. This is a great start, and can be fixed easily enough in later
> > iterations.
>
> I'm still not convinced by this. Shouldn't most of the content of the
> g-v-m capplet be subsumed into preferred applications or another
> existing capplet? The fact that we already have both "File types and
> programs" and "Preferred applications" is crack enough, there shouldn't
> be yet a third place to have to choose what programs I want run when.
> This stuff really should Just Work.

I agree that there's an overlap at the ui level.  However neither of
those capplets have much remaining lifespan and the benefits of
g-v-m IMO outwight the inconsistency for this release.  2.10 should
definitely aim to
    - replace the file type capplet withsomething that works
    - sync/merge the g-v-m configuration with the cleaned up
      preferered app frontend.