Re: Proposed: evolution: bugzilla issue

ons 2004-07-21 klockan 05.13 skrev Elijah Newren:
> Pardon my ignorance, but I had a hard time finding the requirements for
> inclusion in Gnome.  I found http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html
> via a Google search (I couldn't find any direct links to it from various
> gnome.org sites that I could think of), but I don't know if this
> document has since been followed by later revisions.
>
> However, if that document still stands then usage of bugzilla.gnome.org
> is not an actual requirement.  Yes it is encouraged, but considering
> that one of the bugmasters, namely Andrew of the Pants, has already
> stated that he's cool with the current situation, I see no reason for this
> issue to block inclusion of Evolution.

It's not only an issue for the bugmasters -- Evolution using a different
Bugzilla than everything else in the GNOME D&DP release affects many
other contributors aswell.

As an example, translators want to keep track of all bugs in the release
needing string changes. For the rest of the GNOME D&DP this is simple:
Search for bugs matching the fields "Is part of GNOME D&DP", GNOME
Version "2.7/2.8", and keyword "string" in GNOME Bugzilla. Do the same
in bugzilla.ximian.com? Sorry, out of luck, since there are no such
fields and keywords with any similar meaning to use there.

So not only does one have to go to two seperate places to get the same
information as before, it's even impossible sometimes, since sometimes
there is no equivalent to special keywords and fields.

This can be a real problem for other contributors aswell who work with
issues that span over the whole release, instead of just focusing on one
or a few particular applications; like the docs people, accessibility
people, usability etc, who want to track release-wide problems.

Not to mention the confusion for testers who want to report or search
for bugs.

So saying that it's ok just because the bugmasters are fine with it is
missing the point.

But whether this should be a blocker or not is a seperate issue.

Christian