Re: Proposed: evolution (copyright assignment)

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 12:32 -0500, James M. Cape wrote:
> So then any copyright assignment is really irrelevant as the software
> can always continue to be free, even in the absolute worst-case
> scenario.

Yep, and also note that as a part of the assignment agreement you are
granted all the original author rights, including the right to relicense
the code in question:

        1.(b) Ximian agrees to grant back to Developer, and does hereby
        grant, non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancelable rights to
        use the Works (i.e., Developer's changes and/or enhancements,
        not the Program that they enhance), as Developer sees fit;

        (http://developer.ximian.com/projects/evolution/copyright_form.pdf)

... and you get a crisp one dollar bill[1] as well for your trouble!

Everyone interested please read the agreement so there is a better
understanding of what we mean when we're talking about "copyright
assignment".

Thanks,
Joe

[1] Okay, it's a check, but it's still crisp!