Re: Proposed: evolution

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:36:10 -0400, Bryan Clark <bclark redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 04:52 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > This is just wrong. They have quite a bit of meaning. How many Windows
> > (TM) users go to look for "Spreadsheet" or "Word Processor"? They don't.
> > They look for "Excel" or "Word".
>
> Ah, so because MS does it then it's the best thing to do?  or not.

Don't be so quick to claim that, Apple (iTunes, Safari, etc), every
other OS, and probably KDE does this as well.

My understanding is that the fd.o spec allows for distributors to
choose from using Name, GenericName, some combination thereof in the
menus.
Here is a excerpt from the fd.o desktop file spec:
Name	 specific name of the application, for example "Mozilla"
GenericName	generic name of the application, for example "Web Browser"

If evolution doesn't meet that, then just say so instead of ranting
about it.  If it does meet that and you are still not happy, then work
with the people that wrote the spec to change/clarify it.  It is
really that simple.

For the record, using GenericName sounds good in theory my experience
is that it breaks down quickly outside the initial (perhaps too
limited) use case that you seem to be using.  I could go through a
list of reasons, but that is probably not really appropriate for this
list.