[Fwd: Re: Themes]

Andrew forgot the CC. Cheers, Link

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Andrew Johnson <ajgenius ajgenius us>
To: Link Dupont <link subpop net>
Cc: Calum Benson Sun COM
Subject: Re: Themes
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:09:19 -0400
On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 23:47, Link Dupont wrote:
> > - We don't normally include the word "GNOME" in our themes.  I'd prefer
> > if it were just called "Smooth" (at least in the theme preferences
> > dialog, but preferably filenames too), if everyone's happy with that.
>
> Chopping it to "Smooth" is fine with me. Andrew, are you okay with this
> theme being named "Smooth"?

To put it bluntly. NO. Smooth is the name of the engine, not a theme, I
have had enough trouble with that distinction in the past. I don't want
to make it a permanent problem. Nor is the SmoothGNOME theme going to
become the default Smooth theme, ever, so it makes problems even more
difficult. I want a distinction to made between the engine, which is
used for many themes not just the one, and any theme. Naming convention
is critical to making sure more confusion then is necessary happens. One
of the reasons I started using Smooth in the name was at the behest of
XFCE and Bluecurve, where the name indicated the engine, a sort of extra
indication to the user in the know that this theme requires Smooth.
Having a theme called Smooth though which isn't the engine, but requires
an engine called Smooth is just begging for trouble. I already requested
another author change the name of a pixmap theme from Smooth to
something else to prevent such problems.

> I like the description that Maciej suggested. "Simple, smooth, yet
> aesthetically pleasing theme".

This is good, so maybe we could call the theme SimplySmooth? Or is that
too cumbersome for a potentially default theme?

Andrew

--
Link Dupont <link subpop net>