Re: Request for Comments: GNOME Notifier

On Wednesday 28 of July 2004 06:32, Franco Catrin L. wrote:
> I want to receive some ideas and thoughts from you about a User
> Notification System for GNOME, or better than that, a Desktop User
> Notification System.

 You might want to have a look at KDE's KNotify, which seems to be more or
less what you're suggesting for GNOME. You can see it in Settings/Configure
notifications e.g. in Konsole or Kopete, relevant sources are:
 kdelibs/kdecore/knotifyclient.*
 kdelibs/arts/knotify/
 kdebase/kcontrol/knotify/

 If there's some event, it's sent using DCOP to the knotify daemon, it finds
out if and how the user should be informed and does so.

> These are some types of notifications that I can think of.  I hope to
> receive more from you:
>
> - battery status
> - new email
> - new instant message
> - buddy has (dis)connected
> - network (dis)connected
> - wireless network discovered
> - incoming event (task, meeting.... related to evolution-data-server)
> - download finished
> - USB device connected

 There can be hundreds of these.

--