Re: ORBit-like /tmp functions

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 22:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 13:25, Rob Adams wrote:
> > What about just making a hard FAM dependancy and nuking the daemon
> > altogether?
> >

> Would mean a lot more resource usage. Also, the daemon isn't just for
> notification, it's also for locking and caching.

The other reason for not using FAM is its unreliability and it will
always be so until its integrated within the kernel.

We can nuke gconfd when we get round to incorporating an embedded
relational DB in Gnome (would seem a waste not to if medusa/storage is
using one). I'll even volunteer to write a dbus wrapper for the
forthcoming Vulcan embeddable database when its ready (should be
available by years end) so we will have a fast, robust and industrial
strength solution.

jamie.