Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 12:51 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 12:10, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 17:55, George Karabin wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you looked at UPnP (http://www.upnp.org/)? It looks fairly
> > > heavyweight, but it's targeted at some of the same sorts of things as
> > > zeroconf/Rendezvous. I imagine the initial interest in mDNS and webdav
> > > is for network file sharing. A short and sweet example of how UPnP
> > > might be used for something similar is MediaServer
> > > (http://www.upnp.org/standardizeddcps/mediaserver.asp). I'm sure there
> > > are plenty of others.
> >
> > Wow. That looks pretty overengineered. xml, soap and all sorts of
> > buzzwords. :)
>
> It's Microsoft-endorsed.  What do you expect?  ;-)
>
> I might be biased, but I think working towards Zeroconf is a much better
> use of time.  It has much broader range of support on UNIX systems
> (mostly thanks to pushing by Apple and their Open Source
> implementation), and it doesn't have the uber-annoying poor security
> considerations of UPnP.  (UPnP, for example, offers a way for clients to
> punch holes through your UPnP-enabled firewall automatically.  Can you
> say Trojan?)

I'd personally vote for SLP (www.openslp.org). It seems to fit much
better in large networks and in multiuser systems.

Registration of services is really easy, either by config files
(/etc/slp.reg and /etc/slp.d/) or by the API. It only needs a
system-wide daemon, and, as some people say, it fits well in small
networks and scales perfectly for large networks.

cheers