Re: Gnome VFS - plans for Gnome 2.8

On 26/03/04 02:07, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

I'd personally vote for SLP (www.openslp.org). It seems to fit much
better in large networks and in multiuser systems.

Registration of services is really easy, either by config files
(/etc/slp.reg and /etc/slp.d/) or by the API. It only needs a
system-wide daemon, and, as some people say, it fits well in small
networks and scales perfectly for large networks.
Do we know what actual large organisations are using for service discovery right now? If no one is doing service discovery right now, then we can probably choose the most elegant solution.

However, if service discovery is currently in use, it might be better to look at supporting the systems people are using rather than the one we like best.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/