Re: Proposal for a new g-c-c menu layout for GNOME 2.8

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 00:22, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a proposal for a new control center menu layout, my main
> objectives are to allow an easier integration of "external" apps into
> the g-c-c and to somewhat avoid the growing clutter in the menu.
>
> my proposal (+ several screenshots to explain it) are in
> http://www.ultimaorbita.com/~garnacho/control-center-proposal/
>
> There's still no definitive patch for it, but I'll attach one when we
> arrive to a definitive solution. Any thoughts, opinions, flames?
>
> 	Regards

Yes that looks very neat and tidy - the second tier menu was getting
rather too cluttered for my liking.

I do like gst and have used it on an older Debian system before but
nowadays its a rare sight in the big distros (I cant even get it for
Fedora 1.9). Its such a shame cause we need to have consistency at this
level - I really hate the way administrating your system varies between
distros (it smacks of propriety vendor lock-in to me).

I would like to see similar tools such as a Gnome Hardware manager that
would allow you to set up hardware devices like printers and scanners in
a distro neutral fashion. Also a Gnome Package Manager that would
interface to whatever package system the distro used would be good too.
Heck you could go the whole hog and create a Gnome Linux distro that's
community controlled and componentised with those tools (unlike Fedora
thats controlled by RH and is monolithic in design) - now there's a nice
thought...

( I wonder if Bruce Perens might be interested in the above - I think
Gnome Linux would be a better name than UserLinux too :)

jamie.