Re: Moving dot files to ~/.etc

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 00:07 -0400, John wrote:
> The bugsquad suggested that I post this to desktop-devel, since only
> bugsquad read the "general" category on bugzilla.
>
> As a low-priority wish-list improvement, I've always wanted to move dot
> files to ~/.etc, or some similar directory.

Like ~/.gnome2?(_private)? which are already there? [ABBR to ~/.gnome*]

> My sense of aesthetics may be very different from everyone elses, but the
> huge number of dot files in ~ has subconsciously bugged me for a while.  If
> GNOME apps switched, it would provide impetus for others to follow.

I'm not sure of how many gnome apps store stuff outside of ~/.gnome* or
~/.gconf. I'd say most of the dot-stuff is of non gnome apps, and moving
to ~/.etc/ is an effort that should be brought to:
  1) LSB
  2) said software along with patches

Regards, Rui

ps: dot-stuff isn't a big problem anyway, since their purpose is
specifically to be somewhat hidden from view with most defaults
(nautilus, ls, etc..)