Re: Proposed Module Request, Request

James Henstridge wrote:
Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="James Henstridge">

Note that there is nothing wrong with having modules that aren't part of
the desktop or developer platform directly in gnome-2.10.modules.  If the
package is of general interest, then I don't see a problem with it being
listed.

Disagree - the jhbuild lists should reflect the official modules, otherwise
people won't be sure of what they're meant to be testing, translating, etc.

The jhbuild module sets have always contained build info for more packages than the just the Gnome desktop and developer platform, and this hasn't been a problem.

Actually, I've been meaning to raise this issue but I have kept forgetting but now that it's up I'll voice it.

It would make sense to move all non-gnome-desktop packages out of the gnome*.module files and rather into a third party application file. The reason for this is that those modules aren't tied to the GNOME release schedule and won't branch at the same time etc. That means we will have to update this in all gnome*.modules files when it happens.

It also makes it not clear what branch should be used for those third party applications. I heard someone asking on IRC what branch to use for Gaim in gnome-2.10.modules and in gnome28.modules.

Why not add all of these third party applications (like, gaim, gossip, planner, what-not) to an external file that is included by gnome28.modules and gnome-2.10.modules?

It will also make it clearer (as Jeff said) which modules are part of the GNOME release.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/