Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:09:22 -0800, Christian Hammond
<chipx86 gnupdate org> wrote:
> The activation stuff is something that happens now, for free. You
> never explicitly launch notification-daemon, ever. D-BUS does that. If
> it crashes, the user will never know, because the next notification
> will just bring it back up again.

After seeing the discussion on IRC last night I was leaning towards
the daemon being integrated into one of the existing pieces of gnome.

I built notification-daemon and libnotify from svn last night, and
after playing with the test apps for a while I don't see any reason
not to have the daemon seperate (except its written in C++, not sure
how that jives with Desktop inclusion).

Jeff: Its not quite the same as "mapping-daemon".  Its much easier
"notification-daemon" is part of the notification system than
"mapping" has anything to do with CD burning.

About shutdown:
There's a very slight delay on the first pop-up which I assume is from
firing up the daemon, that means timing out the daemon during the
session if probably not a workable idea.  It would become one of those
unmeasured "gnome is slow" arguments.  Having the daemon live forever
between seesions isn't really workable either.  How does e-d-s handle
this?

-Brian

--
Brian Skahan