Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

Seg, 2004-11-08 às 11:07 +0800, James Henstridge escreveu:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> >but gnome-settings-daemon is in control-center, so shouldn't g-s-d be
> >just an extension to gnome-session? gnome-session is always started, so
> >it can just load any plugins, avoiding the fork of more than one single
> >process.
> >

> Remember that if gnome-session dies, your whole session exits.  If
> gnome-settings-daemon (or some other session daemon) dies, it can be
> restarted.  Allowing possibly buggy code to be loaded into something as
> important as gnome-session doesn't sound like a great idea.

  I complete agree with this.

  I remember how often gnome-settings-daemon used to crash in the
beginning.  And some versions of metacity.  And occasionally nautilus.
But the beauty of GNOME is that any of these components can crash.  It's
annoying, but not fatal.  If gnome-session dies, it's another matter
altogether *shudder*

  Let's not add more code to gnome-session besides session-management
stuff, please!

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.