Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

Mike Hearn wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:31:30 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Here is a basic form of my original proposal:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-October/msg01520.html

maybe slightly offtopic, but ..

there is one problem with your proposal.

it involves dmix.

dmix IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. ;)

or...i'll reformulate:
using mplayer, i was NEVER able to achieve perfect audio-video sync when using dmix-alsa.

i really wanted to use dmix (i have a laptop with only one 'hardware' stereo channel).

i tried it many times, played around with the settings...

i even created a script that randomly started a video file in mplayer with or without dmix, and after a while i could tell with a near-100% correctness if it is running with or without dmix.

it was never perfect with dmix. playing with the buffer length in ~/.asoundrc (or how is it called) helped a little, but did not solve it completely.

maybe mplayer is buggy.

maybe dmix is buggy.

maybe it's trivial to fix dmix.

maybe not.

but for now, it does not work fine.

(ok, now means: before 3-4months)

so, if you were able to playback video files with perfect a/v sync, please tell me about your config.

sorry for this long mail, but i just wanted to make sure that the people here understand, that a sound server is not just about xmms and gaim-sounds.

thanks,
gabor