Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

Gábor Farkas wrote:
there is one problem with your proposal.

it involves dmix.

dmix IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. ;)

Did you ever try mplayer with esound, arts, or polypaudio? Do you have similar sync/latency problems with these mixing layers or are you comparing the dmix case to the direct-to-hardware care?

Actually it doesn't necessarily involve dmix, that's just the easiest one to set up. You could have any mixing layer in there. Even a sound server type plugin (doesn't ALSA already ship with one that was dropped when dmix started development?)

I also never got dmix to work quite right either. However, every time I have tried it, it has got better. In FC3 it does basically work, audio is of a high quality, the only problem is that XMMS sometimes stops. I'm not sure if that's dmixs fault or not. The XMMS ALSA plugin seems to be quite buggy as well :)

I'd agree with Colin that bugs should not determine the architecture of something this important though.

Finally dmix is being actively developed by the ALSA maintainers at least, who are employed by SuSE.

thanks -mike