Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 23:46 +0000, Iain * wrote:

> If I'm using Ardour, or Audacity, or Marlin (snigger) I don't want
> gaim going "pling" every few seconds. In fact, if I'm using pro audio
> tools, the chances are I'm not going to be running much else other
> than my pro audio app. From what I've seen of how pro audio people
> work, they have as little as possible running on their system.

I am not a pro audio person, but it seems to me that it's a broken by
design to make them *inherently* incompatible.  Secondly - do you really
expect pro audio people to manually quit every other application like
gaim, turn off sound events, etc?  If they're using polypaudio, then the
polypaudio daemon will be holding the sound device, so to start their
app they'll have to hunt down every other possible user and close it.