Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

Today at 17:53, Alexander Larsson wrote:

>> I'm opposed to it unless it's "zero configuration" includes setting the
>> name of that single directory. Without that it can't be
>> internationalised properly. I don't care if the path is hardcoded but
>> translatable or the path is proposed in the simple on/off dialog.
>
> This is an issue outside of the inclusion of gnome-user-share. We
> already have several folders of this type, such as "Templates", and
> "Desktop". Everyone involved in this thinks that the right way to i18n
> these is to keep the english name on-disk and then rename it in the user
> interface. This could be done with something like .directory files, or
> in some other way (.directory files have some weaknesses). This has been
> planned for quite some time, but has never quite gotten to the top of
> the priority queue.

I'd second Alan on this.

Simply introducing another instance of the issue is not getting us
closer to solving the problem, nor should we endorse such approach.

> Doing it this way makes it easy for e.g. simple scripts to easily work
> in a i18n environment, and makes sure you never get the (common on
> windows) situation of having both a local name for the folder and the
> English one (because some app didn't use the right API).

Solutions have been discussed before, but we don't have any in place
yet[1].  That doesn't mean it's all right to fill our $HOME or desktop
with untranslated names *NOW*.  Having a configurable (gconf or
whatever) directory name is good enough for me at this time.

I may consider this as the problem because of my wanting to have
control of my $HOME/Desktop (fwiw, my desktop is the $HOME), and I
hate seeing untranslated folder names in any of these.

Cheers,
Danilo

[1] I'm not blaming anyone, it's as much my fault as anyone else's in
the community, since we're free software community after all