Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 00:06 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 17:53, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> >> I'm opposed to it unless it's "zero configuration" includes setting the
> >> name of that single directory. Without that it can't be
> >> internationalised properly. I don't care if the path is hardcoded but
> >> translatable or the path is proposed in the simple on/off dialog.
> >
> > This is an issue outside of the inclusion of gnome-user-share. We
> > already have several folders of this type, such as "Templates", and
> > "Desktop". Everyone involved in this thinks that the right way to i18n
> > these is to keep the english name on-disk and then rename it in the user
> > interface. This could be done with something like .directory files, or
> > in some other way (.directory files have some weaknesses). This has been
> > planned for quite some time, but has never quite gotten to the top of
> > the priority queue.
>
> I'd second Alan on this.
>
> Simply introducing another instance of the issue is not getting us
> closer to solving the problem, nor should we endorse such approach.

Agreed. Simply because it's historically done this way, doesn't make it
correct or optimal. It just makes it easy. If I open a terminal,
shouldn't the folder names be the same, when I run "ls"? It seems odd to
have something in cyrillic in the UI, and then go to the terminal, and
see "Public". Then again, having it just automatically be translated,
will also break, since then you will end up with multiple copies of the
same folder, when you switch locales.

-- dobey