Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 03:03 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> I would like to see it adopted for the "GNOME Desktop" release
> set. (as described on that page).

Why?  On some systems, Polypaudio could be redundant with the OS.  Why
should GNOME be in the business of *requiring* one particular sound
server, when we can just write to GStreamer and wash our hands of the
whole business?

> Polypaudio should "provide the user's
> desktop environment".

I don't think that makes sense.

> Application in the GNOME desktop can *not*
> depend on it. The same way that gedit doesn't depend on
> gnome-terminal...

(Actually there can be intra-module dependencies in the Desktop set)

> > Speaking for Fedora, we will make a decision on this, hopefully for FC4,
> > and we will implement it across the entire OS so that sound mixing works
> > *everywhere*, not just in GNOME.
>
> BTW: Interesting to see two redhat guys argue completely different in
> this case.

Entirely irrelevant to GNOME and thus offtopic here if we follow the
proposed GStreamer plan.  Bring your thoughts on Red Hat and Polypaudio
to: fedora-devel-list redhat com
Thanks.