Re: plan to drop automake-1.6 from jhbuild

On 01/09/04 16:58, Martin Waitz wrote:

hi :)

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:52:07PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
The gnome-autogen.sh script might be suitable for distributing with glib. I doubt we would be able to get it included with automake or autoconf, since they seem to recommend using "autoreconf" instead (which doesn't do everything that gnome-autogen.sh does).

how much is it doing more?
perhaps they would include a patch that enhances autoreconf?
Off the top of my head, there are:

  1. support version checks on tools and picking between multiple
     installed versions of automake
  2. support for intltool, gtk-doc, glib-gettextize, and a few other
     gnome specific things.

I don't know whether they would be interested in the Gnome specific bits or not. The other reason for using something instead of (or in addition to) autoreconf is the time between autoconf releases. Autoconf-2.59 was released more than 8 months ago, while the last change to gnome-common was a lot more recent ...

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/