Re: Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide profiling

Dnia 22-09-2004, śro o godzinie 12:04 +1000, Jeff Waugh napisał:
> <quote who="Maciej Katafiasz">
>
> > So, getting to the point, what I'd absolutely love seeing done in 2.10
> > timeframe is desktop-wide, coordinated effort to profile and optimize
> > entire GNOME, so that 450MHz w/ 64MB scenario becomes reasonable[4] to run
> > GNOME on.
>
> Perhaps this would be assisted by establishing a performance or optimisation
> team, who can write docs on how to fix stuff, find common mistakes we can
> all fix, and figure out if/how normal users can help them with (useful and
> accurate!) performance analysis/comparison.

I was thinking exactly about something like this :)

> Are you interested in taking this on? I know Soeren has a particular skill
> at this kind of stuff, perhaps you can both put together a GNOME high
> performance A-TEAM? :-)

Hmm... I can't be of much technical value, my knowledge of GNOME guts is
still too shabby to do anything like profiling, but I think I could try
forming task force to do this stuff. Anyone else who's likely to be good
evil minion here? ;)

Cheers,
Maciej

--