Re: Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide profiling

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:23:31 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz <mnews22 wp pl> wrote:
> Dnia 22-09-2004, ¶ro o godzinie 12:04 +1000, Jeff Waugh napisa³:

> > Are you interested in taking this on? I know Soeren has a particular skill
> > at this kind of stuff, perhaps you can both put together a GNOME high
> > performance A-TEAM? :-)
>
> Hmm... I can't be of much technical value, my knowledge of GNOME guts is
> still too shabby to do anything like profiling, but I think I could try
> forming task force to do this stuff. Anyone else who's likely to be good
> evil minion here? ;)

Well, one way to attack this would be to start writing a guide
detailing the various profiling tools available and a couple of the
basic ideas and methods involved in doing optimization work.  Having
no clue how to do this kind of thing shouldn't be any impediment.
That just means that you write stuff up, and then start bugging people
who have a clue and tell them that you're going to use your guide to
train other people and perhaps even use it in big announcements for
things like gnome-love.  That'll scare 'em into reviewing your stuff
and correcting/rewriting it so that all those poor saps who read your
guide won't be misled.  That's the strategy I used for writing
http://www.gnome.org/~newren/tutorials/developing-with-gnome/ (which I
need to get back to and work on some more).

I had actually planned on writing a guide on performance tools and
optimization.  I even bugged Soeren to give me a brief intro on what I
should read up on and the basics of how I should put such a guide
together.  He replied with a pretty detailed email and
I...uh...dropped the ball for a while.  I'd still like to write that
guide, and I may be able to find some time but I'm already spreading
myself pretty thin with the projects I'm trying to work on...

Elijah