Re: Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide profiling

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 04:23 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> Dnia 22-09-2004, śro o godzinie 12:04 +1000, Jeff Waugh napisał:
> > <quote who="Maciej Katafiasz">
> >
> > > So, getting to the point, what I'd absolutely love seeing done in 2.10
> > > timeframe is desktop-wide, coordinated effort to profile and optimize
> > > entire GNOME, so that 450MHz w/ 64MB scenario becomes reasonable[4] to run
> > > GNOME on.
> >
> > Perhaps this would be assisted by establishing a performance or optimisation
> > team, who can write docs on how to fix stuff, find common mistakes we can
> > all fix, and figure out if/how normal users can help them with (useful and
> > accurate!) performance analysis/comparison.
>
> I was thinking exactly about something like this :)
>
> > Are you interested in taking this on? I know Soeren has a particular skill
> > at this kind of stuff, perhaps you can both put together a GNOME high
> > performance A-TEAM? :-)
>
> Hmm... I can't be of much technical value, my knowledge of GNOME guts is
> still too shabby to do anything like profiling, but I think I could try
> forming task force to do this stuff. Anyone else who's likely to be good
> evil minion here? ;)

I'm not an expert on profiling at all, but wouldn't profiling just mean
running GNOME apps through certain commands like valgrind, gperf, etc? A
different thing is the output obtained with those commands, which can
just be sent to the affected modules' maintainers for review.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>