Re: Regarding CD/DVD Burning

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 09:55 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:22 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >
> > Nautilus: CD data, DVD data, ISOs
> > gThumb: Image catalogs (data), PhotoCDs
> > Rhythmbox: CD Audio burning (with the excellent SoundJuicer doing ripping)
> > Kino: VCD, SVCD, DVD (and maybe an option to load an external app that can
> > do DVD menus, like iDVD, and then do the burning from there)
>
> nautilus-cd-burner was never meant to be the be-all end-all of cd
> burning apps. When I created it the plan was:
>
> * Make it easy to use to just burn some files on a cd.
> * Add an app that is easy to use to clone cds

That's on the plans for 2.10. User would go to the Computer in nautilus,
right-click and select "Copy CD...". I'm going to be investigating
cdrdao and readcd in the future.

> * Integrate audio cd burning into rhythmbox or equivalent app
> * Have a "full" nero/k3b style burning app for more complicated use
>
> We still don't have a cloning app, but readcd -clone/cdrecord -clone in
> recent versions of cdrecord should make that easy. We're starting to see
> apps like gthumb and rhythmbox integrate cd burning using nautilus-cd-
> burner. However, we still don't have any full cd burning app in good
> enough state yet.

Since 2.4, nautilus-cd-burner has changed a lot. We turned most of the
code into a library for other applications to use, and added a CD
selection widget to this library (which is now used by a great number of
applications).

The interface problems with the audio CD burning problems have been
solved by moving the audio CD burning to Rhythmbox.

There are still a number of changes that could be done to the main
nautilus-cd-burner code, like data size checkings, and on-the-fly DVD
burning. Those are tentatively planned for 2.10 as well.

One thing that will likely need to get sorted is the use cases for data
burning, and audio CD burning. I have a great proposal from Ben Kahn (I
haven't forgotten!), but we'll need to discuss it in the future.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>