Re: Regarding CD/DVD Burning

Ter, 2004-09-21 às 18:22 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru escreveu:
> Myself and a few thousand others are in need for a /usable/ gtk-based CD/DVD
> burning application for a while now. Some Gnome-specific distros still have
> to install 30 MBs extra of KDE libs just so they can include K3B. In short:
> this is a kind of multi-function app that's sorely missed in the Gnome
> world. But...
>
> ..reading the comments on gnomedesktop the last few days, some people
> suggested that instead of having a single app doing all these things, it
> might make better sense to have several apps that each one can burn CD/DVDs
> according to their function. At the end of the day, writing down files to a
> medium is a job of a file manager. Example:
>
> Nautilus: CD data, DVD data, ISOs
> gThumb: Image catalogs (data), PhotoCDs
> Rhythmbox: CD Audio burning (with the excellent SoundJuicer doing ripping)
> Kino: VCD, SVCD, DVD (and maybe an option to load an external app that can
> do DVD menus, like iDVD, and then do the burning from there)
>

> Thing is though, how would one do CD/DVD copying?

  Context menu on the CD/DVD source device inside 'Computer' would offer
an extra menu item 'Copy Disc...', which would launch a variant of
nautilus-cd-burner dedicated to cloning.  This window would come up and
allow you to select a target device and write speed.

>  Or how would you set up
> something to write in joliet or mac fs or hybrids?

  A button for advanced options in nautilus-cd-burner...

>  Or, how to create a new
> ISO, .DMG or .CDR disc image file
  nautilus-cd-burner already supports this, just select 'Image file' as
target device.  Although I think it always writes ISO, no other format.

>  (and burn them afterwards)?
  Make an association for the iso9660 MIME type to the nautilus cd
burner.

>  Or, how to
> burn multiple sessions to the same CD (including mixed Audio/Data CD's)?

  Now this is truly advanced, but maybe nautilus-cd-burner could
theoretically handle this too, I'm not sure...  If not, this is not so
common that we can't live without it.

  IMHO, what we really need is a nautilus cd burner just a bit more
flexible and more desktop integration.   We don't need a new standalone
app.

  Just my 0.02 €.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic