Re: Regarding CD/DVD Burning

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 23:42 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> Ter, 2004-09-21 às 18:22 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru escreveu:
> > Myself and a few thousand others are in need for a /usable/ gtk-based CD/DVD
> > burning application for a while now. Some Gnome-specific distros still have
> > to install 30 MBs extra of KDE libs just so they can include K3B. In short:
> > this is a kind of multi-function app that's sorely missed in the Gnome
> > world. But...
> >
> > ..reading the comments on gnomedesktop the last few days, some people
> > suggested that instead of having a single app doing all these things, it
> > might make better sense to have several apps that each one can burn CD/DVDs
> > according to their function. At the end of the day, writing down files to a
> > medium is a job of a file manager. Example:
> >
> > Nautilus: CD data, DVD data, ISOs
> > gThumb: Image catalogs (data), PhotoCDs
> > Rhythmbox: CD Audio burning (with the excellent SoundJuicer doing ripping)
> > Kino: VCD, SVCD, DVD (and maybe an option to load an external app that can
> > do DVD menus, like iDVD, and then do the burning from there)
> >

> > Thing is though, how would one do CD/DVD copying?
>
>   Context menu on the CD/DVD source device inside 'Computer' would offer
> an extra menu item 'Copy Disc...', which would launch a variant of
> nautilus-cd-burner dedicated to cloning.  This window would come up and
> allow you to select a target device and write speed.
>
> >  Or how would you set up
> > something to write in joliet or mac fs or hybrids?
>
>   A button for advanced options in nautilus-cd-burner...

n-c-b already writes Joliet CDs (and even warns if it's going to cut up
your filenames). There are no plans on being able to make HFS/HFS+
hybrid CDs from scratch. MacOS X can deal with Joliet and Rockridge CDs,
and writing CDs for MacOS 9.x and below is a PITA on non-MacOS machines.

> >  Or, how to create a new
> > ISO, .DMG or .CDR disc image file
>   nautilus-cd-burner already supports this, just select 'Image file' as
> target device.  Although I think it always writes ISO, no other format.

.DMG is a proprietary format Apple uses for disc images, we don't
support it. .cdr is usually a raw image of a CD track. You can burn it
by hand with cdrecord, n-c-b doesn't support it.

> >  (and burn them afterwards)?
>   Make an association for the iso9660 MIME type to the nautilus cd
> burner.
>
> >  Or, how to
> > burn multiple sessions to the same CD (including mixed Audio/Data CD's)?
>
>   Now this is truly advanced, but maybe nautilus-cd-burner could
> theoretically handle this too, I'm not sure...  If not, this is not so
> common that we can't live without it.

I've started writing a small audio CD burning application for that
purpose (mixed CDs). No plans on supporting multi-session CDs though.

>   IMHO, what we really need is a nautilus cd burner just a bit more
> flexible and more desktop integration.   We don't need a new standalone
> app.

Patches welcome...

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>