Re: gnome-screensaver in CVS

Dnia 24-04-2005, nie o godzinie 17:13 -0400, William Jon McCann napisał:
> > Will there be a random screensaver mode? I quite liked that feature of
> > the current xscreensaver.
>
> It is an interesting problem.  The daemon supports it.  You can turn it
> on via gconf for now.  However, I'm not really convinced it is necessary
> to expose this in the capplet.  I think the option really says more
> about the quality of most screensaver themes than it does to solve any
> real world problems.  We have all become used to it being there.

Problem? No, thanks, I don't have any problems with my screensavers,
they're all healthy and well-fed.

> Here's another way I've thought about it.  As far as I know, we don't
> offer an option to randomize the desktop backgrounds while we are
> sitting at the screen.  So, why do we care if the screensaver theme
> cycles randomly while we aren't?

Because hacks are *not* meant to be usable, they're just that -- fun
hacks. Compare that with wallpaper at which you presumably stare all day
or so. Because, let's face it, "saving screen" is hardly a reason to run
screensaver these days, if you were truly concerned about that, you'd
use standby mode anyway.

> I'm not set against it.  I would just like to have a good reason for it.

The reason is that it is damn fun to come back to your box when
screensaver has already kicked in and discover new shiny hack you
haven't seen before.

> Also, including the option implies that the screensaver theme list
> should be long.  Which may not be a good thing.

Of course it's not good thing. It's GREAT thing.

Cheers,
Maciej

--
Maciej Katafiasz <ml mathrick org>