Re: gnome-screensaver in CVS

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 00:10 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

> Because hacks are *not* meant to be usable, they're just that -- fun
> hacks. Compare that with wallpaper at which you presumably stare all day
> or so. Because, let's face it, "saving screen" is hardly a reason to run
> screensaver these days, if you were truly concerned about that, you'd
> use standby mode anyway.

Screensavers don't need to be usable themselves.. but the interface for
controlling them needs to be. The Big-list-of-checkboxes is a bad
default, in my experience (the first time I saw it in Xscreensaver, it
gave me the impression that to choose a single screensaver, I had to
uncheck every single one I didn't want.)

Some of Xscreensaver's hacks are also fairly alarming if they come up
randomly and you're not prepared for them (The BSOD one, the broken TV
one, etc)