Re: gnome-screensaver in CVS

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:40:16 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Wouldn't the ideal way to implement this be an xscreensaver
> plugin/wrapper saver which exposes one screensaver to xscreensaver per
> windows screensaver?

You can implement it that way, that's how I hacked it in before. An
xscreensaver is just a program and there is a UNIX style columned
list in ~/.xscreensaverrc you can add them to. I think it'd work better if
the capplet/daemon explicitly knew about it though. The two possible UIs
seem to be:

a) People to select the .scr file directly, which is lame and usually
   hidden in their "virtual windows drive" anyway

b) To generate a list of available/installed Windows screensavers and just
   add it to the list of available savers. It can then be run by an
   installed wrapper or whatever.

Generating the list could be as simple as running a shell script that can
be installed later to add additional screensaver sources. It doesn't have
to be Wine specific though I am having a hard time imagining why else
you'd want two sources of screensavers.

thanks -mike