Hide extensions [Was: Nautilus]

to 2005-12-22 klockan 08:24 +0000 skrev Shane O'Connor:

> IMHO if we want to get people to shift from Windoze then we're gonna
> have to ensure the move is painless as possible. That doesn't
> necessarily we have to mirror windoze behaviour but we should definitely
> avoid making the default for gnome more cumbersome...

Is there BTW any usability tests, polls, or whatever, that would report
the usefulness of Windows Explorer's "Hide extensions for known file
types" that by default is On?

(Personally I find it an absolutely horrible default setting and
invariably turn it off on all Windows boxes I use, but I am almost
capable of seeing the reasoning behind it... and can certainly believe
it if somebody tells me that it in fact has been shown to reduce
confusion among novice users.)

--tml