Re: Exciting GNOME?

I think a competition is a good idea. Seems more likely than a long thread on d-d-l to produce results (based on previous discussions about themes on d-d-l). For what its worth, I never designed SmoothGNOME/Glider with flashy, shiny, eye-candy effects in mind. Not sure why we feel the need to have such a theme as a default though; the only reason I can see is to compete with OS X (lets face it, we've got Windows XP Luna beat, even with themes like Crux o_O). Do we want to advertise GNOME as a flashy eye-candy based Desktop? I always liked GNOME's clean, basic, simple interface; it was never cluttered with bouncing icons and flashing lights. That always appealed to me. Is the motivation for a flashy new theme to effectively gain more "market" share?

-Link