Re: High Contrast Icons

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 22:40 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Does anyone have any comments on this idea, and how we can encourage
> maintainers to include high contrast icons? Accessibility is one of the
> cornerstones of GNOME, so it would be a shame to let it slip on this issue.

As I said over on gnome-themes-list, amending the f.d.o. icon theme spec
would presumably be one of the steps-- to state that (as with the
hicolor theme) it's okay for third party applications to install right
into the those theme directories, and to ensure that 'official'
cross-platform a11y theme names are in place.  That should also raise a
bit of awareness of the issue in itself.

Encouraging developers to take heed should be pretty simple... as with
other usability and accessibility features, if the quality of your
accessible icon themeing is below-par, your app gets pulled from the
desktop release :)

The good thing of course is that it's something we could transition to
gradually and fairly painlessly... as an app pulls its a11y icons into
its own source, we just delete the corresponding icons from
gnome-themes.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group