Re: JDS/Nevada Integration Strategy

Robert O'Dea wrote:

I'm cc:ing Dee and Ray Strong since she might have some feedback on the
issues.

However, there is a gotcha. According to mail that Matt received overnight from Brian Cameron:

"we plan to do ARC inception reviews for 2.10, 2.12 each minor release. When we decide which version will go into Nevada, we will do a single commitment review for the versions that are going into Nevada."

I don't think there is any gotcha.  John and I were planning the above
strategy because we weren't aware that there was a plan to update GNOME
in the WOS before the final Nevada delivery.  If we want to refresh
GNOME more frequently, this simply means that we have to do a commitment
review before each refresh.

Since I am putting together the one-pager for the GNOME Vermilion ARC
process right now, I have a few questions that would be helpful to know
the answer to.

1) What stable release of GNOME do we intend to refresh into the WOS
   next?  2.12, 2.14?

2) Will the Evolution team be willing to ARC their code for this
   refresh, or will we be doing the work to ARC their project?
   Likewise for the Mozilla project?  Or is it not necessary for
   these projects to refresh into the WOS on the same schedule as
   the base GNOME code?

3) We need to have a story for how we intend to manage the WOS "big
   rules".  ARC will want to know whether we intend to include
   l10n, i18n, documentation, manpage updates, etc. in the next
   release and this information should be included in our ARC
   materials.  Have we made arrangements to ensure this will be
   done, or do we have a get well plan, or a waiver in place for
   the WOS big rules?  We will likely need this information before
   we can pass a commitment review, though it is probably not
   necessary to have this for an inception review to start the
   process.

4) The one-pager needs to include any market analysis, comparative
   analysis and business justification that we have done to
   show how updating GNOME in the WOS adds value.  I have all the
   information that we collected for the Cinnabar release.  Have
   we done any research or gathered any information since then that
   I can include in the one-pager?  If not, we can probably use the
   same information that we used for Cinnabar.  I'm attaching the
   Cinnabar one-pager for reference so you can see what analysis
   was done in that timeframe.  Most of the information we gathered
   for the Cinnabar release was from the accessibility folks, so
   I am hoping they will have some updated information.

It was because of these overheads that John and I were assuming
that we would only want to do a commitment review for a final
Nevada build after we determined which build would go into
Nevada.  If we are willing to accept the overheads of dealing
with WOS big rules, and the extra overheads of going through
a multiple ARC inception/commitment reviews; then we can
refresh into the WOS as frequently as we want.

I would recommend that we probably do not want to do a commitment
review for every GNOME stable release.  We should probably review
each GNOME stable release and determine if the value add is worth
the overheads involved with getting it into the WOS or if it makes
more sense to wait until the next GNOME stable release.

Brian
Template Version: @(#)onepager.txt 1.19 02/02/28 SMI

This information is Sun Proprietary: Need-to-Know

1. Introduction
   1.1. Project/Component Working Name:

        Cinnabar Heavy (GNOME 2.6) on Solaris

   1.2. Name of Document Author/Supplier:

        Brian Cameron (brian cameron sun com)

   1.3. Date of This Document:

        5th October 2004

   1.4. Name of Major Document Customer(s)/Consumer(s):

        - Accessibility Program Office
        - Power Client Steering Committee (PCSC)
        - LSARC

   1.4.1. The Steering Committees you expect to review your project

          Power Client Steering Committee (PCSC)

   1.4.2. The ARC(s) you expect to review your project

          LSARC

   1.4.3. The Director/VP who is "Sponsoring" this project

          Robert O'Dea/Stephen Pelletier

   1.4.4. The name of your business unit

          Software - Desktop Solutions Group

   1.5. Email Aliases:
        1.5.1. Responsible Manager:   Robert Odea sun com
        1.5.2. Responsible Engineer:  Brian Cameron sun com
        1.5.3. Marketing Manager:
        1.5.4. Interest List:         gnome-pteam sun com
                                      AccessProgramOffice sun com

2. Project Summary
   2.1. Project Description

        The Cinnabar Heavy release of the GNU Network Object Model Environment
        or GNOME is an upgrade release which will replace the Solaris GNOME
        2.0.x that was released in March, 2003.  The Cinnabar Heavy release
        is targeted for Solaris 10 and is similar to the Metropolis release
        of GNOME for Solaris 9 x86 with the addition of a11y support, a small
        number of modules have been added, removed, or upgraded to a new
        version to reflect a more current state of the GNOME stack and also
        due to dependency changes in Solaris 10 (for example, the JDS
        team now ships the low-level graphics libraries).

        Cinnabar Heavy will provide the following:

        + GNOME will include the Java Desktop System theming and branding that
          has been used in the Linux GNOME releases.

        + Inclusion of new features.  Highlights include:

          GNOME 2.2:

          - Better theming/keyboard navigation support in most
            applications, which is needed for accessibility.
          - Added metatheme support to the theme preferences dialog
            which combines the themes for the window manager, GTK+ and
            icons into a single metatheme.
          - The file search tool has an improved UI.
          - Numerous user-interface improvements to Nautilus.
          - The gnome-panel now supports theming and supports a "Show
            Desktop" button.
          - Text editor now provides spell checking.
          - Character map now has unicode support.
          - Support for fontconfig and Xft2 for better font support,
            including anti-aliasing.
          - Addition of metacity as window manager (included in Sun's
            GNOME 2.0 release).
          - Multihead support in GTK+ (included in Sun's GNOME 2.0
            release).
          - Addition of gstreamer multimedia engine.
          - Addition of a startup notification system
          - Addition of notification area and wireless link applets.
          - Addition of File Roller utility for managing tarballs.
          - Addition of the "Open Recent" feature in the Actions menu.

          GNOME 2.4:

          - Addition of GOK and Gnopernicus.
          - Further improvement with theming/keyboard navigation support
            which is needed for accessibility.
          - Numerous user-interface improvements to Nautilus and gnome-panel.
          - Control Center has improved user-interface and better support
            for managing themes and a new font management system.
          - The window manager now manages gnome-panel's keybindings
          - gedit now supports syntax highlighting.
          - Addition of drag & drop CD burner to Nautilus.
          - Addition of Epiphany browser, and gnomemeeting.
          - Addition of accessibility preferences to control-panel
          - Addition of Sticky Notes applet
          - Addition of Blackjack game
          - Gcalctool replacement for gnome-calculator, zenity replacement
            for gdialog, and gucharmap replacement for gnome-character-map.

          GNOME 2.6:

          - Further improvement with theming/keyboard navigation support
            which is needed for accessibility.
          - Significant improvements to accessibility applications, GOK and
            Gnopernicus.
          - Further Nautilus improvements, a simpler and more intuitive
            interface.  Now supports a "spacial" view.  Nautilus now supports
          - Support for multiple keyboard layouts.
          - User interface and functionality improvements to epiphany,
            gnomemeeting, character map, PDF viewer, text editor, and the
            Search for Files utility.
          - Lockdown of gnome configuration was improved in GNOME
          - Sun provides network administration of gnome configuration via
            APOC.
          - Improved support for vector graphics and vector themes.
          - Now using GTK 2.4 with new file selector, combo box and expander
            widgets.   Bidirectional improvements for languages such as
            Arabic and Hebrew.
          - Addition of Network Monitor, Keyboard Indicator, and Keyboard
            Accessibility Status applets.

          Note that some community GNOME 2.2/2.4 enhancements were already
          included in the GNOME 2.0.x version of Solaris such as multihead
          support and the inclusion of gpdf.  Likewise Sun's release of
          GNOME 2.6 will likely contain certain features and bug fixes
          that are back ported from GNOME 2.7+ code.

        + Accessibility support.

          Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act says that all agency purchases
          of IT must be accessible to people with disabilities.  This law went
          into effect in the July, 2001.  Meeting Sun's requirements for
          Section 508 entails:

          (a) assistive technology for people who are blind, have low vision,
              or have a mobility impairment,
          (b) application tools designed to enable the development of
              accessible products, and
          (c) mainstream and desktop applications written based on the
              application tools.

          GNOME 2.0.x contained an accessible infrastructure (ATK and at-spi)
          in addition to accessible theming, icons, and keyboard navigation
          support.  The Cinnabar Heavy release adds significant AT (Accessible
          Technology) programs to the release, namely GOK and Gnopernicus.
          These provide screen magnification, text-to-speech, braille monitor
          support, and an on-screen keyboard.  Significant improvements and
          bugfixes have been made to the accessible infrastructure, including
          the addition of Java Swing support.  In addition, support for
          accessible login, an Assistive Technology preferences dialog, and
          an improved AccessX dialog have been added.

   2.2. Risks and Assumptions

          2.2.1.1 Cinnabar Heavy Schedule

          Cinnabar Heavy is targeted to be released with Solaris 10.

          2.2.1.2 API/ABI Concerns

          Future GNOME releases may break ABI compatibility, which could
          cause stress for ISV's and may require that Sun support
          multiple versions of the same GNOME dependent libraries.

          With sizable open-source software projects, it is difficult
          to manage dependencies even within the project; Sun wishes to
          increase the amount of open-source libraries installed with
          Solaris and there is some overlap with libraries used in
          Netscape. If one open-source package requires a different
          version of an installed file, installation and run-time
          behavior would become complex and consume more resources.

          There is a risk that GNOME's broad native API set and CORBA-
          based technology will cause uncertainty about the Java platform
          and Sun's commitment to XML-based middleware.

          2.2.1.3 GNOME Community and Free Software Issues

          Sun will have some influence over decisions within the GNOME
          community, but is just one important partner in the open-source
          GNOME project.  There is a risk that we cannot accept a decision
          made by the community, which would require that Sun forks some
          portion of the GNOME project for distribution with Solaris.
          Sun's membership with the GNOME Foundation will provide a forum
          for raising issues of importance to Sun.

          GNOME is developed by a wide number of contributors with differing
          needs and commitments which makes it difficult to establish
          a reliable release schedule; further, there is little opportunity
          to synchronize GNOME releases with Sun's preferred schedule

          With open-source software (especially GPL and LGPL as used for
          most GNOME-related source) there is always a risk of license
          contagion.

          2.2.1.4 User Acceptance

          There is a risk that Sun's ISV's will not adopt GNOME, either
          because it is one desktop change too many or because they are
          not convinced that the GNOME project will be a success.

          2.2.1.5 Accessibility Concerns

          This is the first release of GNOME that is intended to be
          a reasonably accessible desktop.  Since this software is so
          new, requires cumbersome testing, there is a risk that
          significant functionality might not be fully accessible in
          this release.  In this situation, patches or a follow-up
          release may be necessary to provide missing support.  It
          is also possible that some issues will not become clear to
          us until end users with accessibility needs start using the
          software and let us know what problems they experience.

          A number of programs that are being introduced into GNOME since
          the 2.0 release are not yet accessible, and other important products
          that Sun intends to ship (e.g. evolution and mozilla) are owned by
          other Sun teams and need to be made fully accessible.

          Also, some dialogs used in Solaris, such as the EnergyStar
          sleep dialog, have not yet been ported to use the GTK+ or
          Swing widget set.  Cooperation with these external and internal
          teams will be necessary in order to make the desktop
          completely accessible.

          The XEvIE, Virtual Frame Buffer, dirty region notification,
          and screen cursor changes (XFIXES) are in the process of being
          integrated into Xorg and Xsun.  Problems and bugs in this area
          will have a negative impact on accessibility.  There might be
          difficulties keeping Solaris in sync with Linux.  Also, many of
          these extensions do not yet work on SunRay.  This will need to be
          addressed to fully support accessibility on SunRay.

3. Business Summary
   3.1. Problem Area

        Cinnabar Heavy will provide Solaris Sparc and x86 architectures
        with a low cost alternative to the Microsoft desktop.  This will
        meet the desktop needs of Sun customers who prefer the stability
        and maturity of the Solaris operating system, will provide an
        alternative for customers who are not comfortable migrating Linux,
        and will provide a modern desktop to users who are already
        invested with Solaris.

        Cinnabar Heavy will be the  first release providing a reasonable
        degree of end-user accessibility and support for assistive
        technologies.  Cinnabar Heavy will be a usable introduction to
        accessibility of graphic user interfaces on UNIX.

   3.2. Market/Requester

        The demand for Cinnabar Heavy is to coming from users who wish to
        have a low cost alternative to Microsoft on a Solaris platform.
        Also providing the Java Desktop System on Solaris will show Sun's
        commitment to the platform.

        A primary market for this release is the large and influential
        U.S. federal government market which is directly affected by
        requirements stemming from Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation
        Act, requiring them to acquire products that can be used
        productively by people with disabilities. However, some state
        government agencies are also beginning to follow suit, and some
        other countries have at least guidelines that are similar to
        Section 508 requirements. We have also seen several requests for
        accessibility from secondary and post-secondary educational
        institutions in the U.S. as well as from the Birmingham (U.K.)
        library system.

   3.3. Business Justification

        This project is considered to be strategic as well as a source
        of revenue.  Cinnabar Heavy will help to slow Microsoft's growth as
        an exclusive solution provider by eroding their desktop market share.
        Microsoft is pushing proprietary closed technology (.NET) to lock
        in developers and lock out the competition - notably our own
        hardware and software.  Cinnabar Heavy is about defending Java's
        developer marketshare against .NET.  Cinnabar Heavy is also an
        offensive strategy because it enables Sun to sell complete end to
        end solutions, where the one end is a commodity desktop machine.

        In terms of accessibility, Cinnabar Heavy will allow Sun to compete in
        markets that have become increasingly demanding in their accessibility
        requirements.  Since June 2001, U.S. Federal agencies (as well as some
        states) began to include 508 requirements in their requests for
        information and proposals. They must ensure that purchases of IT
        systems comply with 508, unless doing so would impose an "undue burden."

        While "undue burden" and other procurement issues may provide a
        temporary loophole for purchasing officers, SunFed predicts that
        agencies will strongly prefer simpler sales cycles that do not
        require them to claim exemptions and justify their exceptions through
        documentation.  Furthermore, even when "undue burden" is claimed and
        an agency purchases inaccessible products, the agency must still
        provide equivalent information through some other means.

        The revenue at risk numbers available to the Program Office from
        SunFed are approximately $500M in the current fiscal year.

   3.4. Competitive Analysis

        Obviously MS is the 800 pound gorilla in this market and clearly
        Cinnabar Heavy will not pose a lethal competitive threat to Microsoft
        for some time.  On the other hand, a percentage of the desktop market
        (~40%) is considering alternative desktops right now.  Target markets
        like call centers and retail banks tend to have desktop requirements
        for which Microsoft's desktop technology is overkill.  Their
        requirements can be satisfied with Linux, GNOME, Mozilla, Evolution,
        and StarOffice.

        Red Hat and now Novell (SuSE and Ximian) are the other major players in
        the Linux desktop market, along with TurboLinux in Asia Pacific and Red
        Flag Linux China.  For now, our competitive edge wrt these companies is
        Sun's relative size and reputation as well as our ability to deliver
        complete systems.  Furthermore, the two market leaders in the Linux
        space are partners with our JDS and JES products.

        Cinnabar Heavy provides many bug fixes, a more polished user
        experience, and many new features which make it more competitive with
        other commercial operating systems, notably Microsoft Windows. It also
        includes several features to make is easier for Windows users to
        migrate to GNOME, an important consideration as we continue to push
        hard to attract new customers, many of whom may be reluctant to
        switch to a radically different desktop environment.

        A significant addition to the GNOME desktop is the addition of a
        workable accessibility infrastructure and the addition of assistive
        technology (AT) programs -- notably a screen reader, screen magnifier,
        and an on-screen keyboard.  This allows Sun to effectively compete
        with other companies in markets that are subject to Section 508
        requirements because we can provide solutions for the blind,
        vision-impaired, and motor-impaired.

        Following is a detailed competitive analysis between Microsoft
        Windows, Mac OS X, and GNOME based on information provided by Peter
        Korn of Sun's Accessibility Program Office:

        Microsoft Windows has the most mature accessibility support, due to the
        large number of assistive technology (AT) tools available for it.  They
        also have mature keyboard operability of applications and desktop due to
        this being a priority for many years.  Theme support is very good, with
        a fairly high degree of compliance among 3rd party applications.  Their
        built-in AT applications (Magnifier screen magnification, Navigator
        screen reader, and their on-screen keyboard) are intentionally limited
        so as not to compete with 3rd party tools, and are inadequate for
        anything more than the most casual use.  They are, however, fairly well
        exposed and integrated, with their own "Accessibility Wizard" for
        configuring them.  The Microsoft Windows accessibility architecture is
        in shambles and they plan a complete overhaul in the next release of
        their OS due in 2005 - and all indications are that their approach will
        be similar to what Sun pioneered with the Java platform 5 years ago.
        Reasonable quality text-to-speech (TTS) software is built into Windows,
        as is speech recognition.  Third party options here abound, including
        several applications to control your desktop from speech in addition to
        dictation.  Most U.S. government agencies will be comfortable purchasing
        Windows solutions under Section 508.  The purchasing public thinks
        almost exclusively of Windows when they consider accessibility in the
        workplace.

        Macintosh accessibility support requires an almost total overhaul with
        OS X.  Most existing AT tools from OS 9 and earlier versions do not run
        on OS X, and no new tools are shipping (though they expect a few soon,
        notably an on-screen keyboard).  Apple took a "clean slate" approach
        to accessibility, and as a result have come up with some interesting
        new ideas, but have also seemingly forgotten/not applied some well
        understood requirements.  Keyboard support is turned off by default,
        and does not follow industry conventions (though is configurable).
        There is no "theme" mechanism; the user simply has the choice of
        black&white, or grayscale for themes (which is enforced at the video
        subsystem level, and so is global).  They have a built-in magnifier
        which looks nice, but does not track focus or caret, so is not a
        viable option for real use by people with low-vision.  They have
        developed an accessibility architecture (API for AT tools) which looks
        a lot like the approach Sun pioneered with the Java platform 5 years
        ago.  Good quality TTS software is built into Macintosh, as is limited
        speech recognition.  There are a number of third party options,
        including one to control your desktop from speech in addition to
        dictation.  Apple faces an uphill battle to convince U.S. government
        agencies to purchase OS X under Section 508.  Apple accessibility is
        associated with schools; it is not a serious option for accessibility
        in the workplace.

        Solaris/Linux (GNOME) accessibility support is rapidly maturing, as
        reflected in the Cinnabar Heavy release.  There are a number of open
        source AT options for the Linux console for vision impairments, some
        of which have been ported to Solaris and are available on the Companion
        CD.  Graphical UNIX accessibility is fundamentally  about Cinnabar
        Heavy (though KDE accessibility is underway - which will also make use
        of the same ATK underlying technology).  Keyboard accessibility is very
        good, but not universal yet and definitely second place behind Windows.
        Theme support has improved considerably in Cinnabar Heavy.

        There are no commercial AT applications for the graphical desktop,
        but the open source options we will provide with Cinnabar Heavy should
        make this lack unimportant for many categories.  We will provide
        Gnopernicus screen reading, magnification, and Braille display support;
        and the GNOME on-screen keyboard (GOK) -- they compare well to Windows
        commercial offerings, although these "1.0" releases are less mature.
        The GNOME Accessibility Framework builds on teh accessibility API
        concepts used in Java, and is (either explicitly or apparently) the
        model the other desktops are working to emulate.  Open source TTS is
        poor and the FreeTTS we will provide does not include high-quality
        voices.  There are several third party engines available for purchase
        and we continue to evangelize these companies to support the GNOME
        accessibility architecture.  There are no real speech recognition
        options for the desktop, and no products even on the horizon for
        speech control of the desktop.

        When Sun and the UNIX community finish executing their accessibility
        plan, we/they will be in a good position to win U.S. federal
        government business under Section 508.  UNIX is not presently seen as
        an accessibility option anywhere, but that perception is changing in
        a large part due to Sun's evangelism and publicity surrounding
        Sun-contributed GNOME accessibility work.

   3.5. Opportunity Window/Exposure

        About 40% of Microsoft's desktop customers are considering
        switching to Linux (Yankeee Group, 2002) and Linux desktop
        distributions grew at 48% in 2001-2 (IDC World Wide Linux).  The
        Linux desktop market is still very new, most of the established
        Linux distro companies (and IBM) have focused on server side
        software until the last year or so.  Sun's opportunity to assert
        some leadership in this market depends on our ability to deliver
        a product soon before other players become too established.

        In terms of accessibility, SunFed has told us they need an
        accessible desktop "as soon as possible."  Section 508 took effect
        in June, 2001 and we have been scrambling ever since to avoid
        significant loss of business. The longer we wait, the more we risk
        significant loss of business, particularly as competitors now often
        have more comprehensive accessible solutions.

   3.6. How will you know when you are done?

        The project will be complete when the stopper and P1/P2 bugs are
        resolved and the performance of GNOME is acceptable.

4. Technical Description

        Refer to the release notes for GNOME 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 in the Section 5
        (Reference Documents) for more detail of new features added since
        2.0.

        Refer to the "GNOME Accessibility Overview" and "GNOME Accessibility
        Technologies" document in Section 5 (Reference Documents) for a
        description of the Accessibility Infrastructure and AT programs.

        A breakdown of new components and components that were reviewed as a
        part of the Solaris GNOME 2.0.x release follows:

        New
        ===

        + Assistive Technologies

          - java-access-bridge

        + Infrastructure

          - fontconfig
          - gnome-icon-themes
          - GStreamer and gst-plugins
          - gtk-doc
          - gtksourceview
          - libgtop
          - libical
          - librsvg (Scalable Vector Graphics support)
          - libxklavier
          - nautilus-cd-burner
          - nautilus-printers
          - ttf-freefont (Free UCS True Type Fonts)
          - vte (terminal library)

          - libmrproject (not supported)

          Note: gnome-cups/libgnomecups will not integrate with community
                GNOME until GNOME 2.6, and it is unclear whether Solaris
                10 will support CUPS.  We will only support these if CUPS
                support is also added to Solaris 10.  We are talking with
                the Sun Printing team to determine our direction with these
                modules.

          - gnome-cups
          - libgnomecups

        + Applications

          - bug-buddy
          - epiphany
          - file-roller
          - fontilus
          - gaim
          - gconf-editor
          - gdm (LSARC 2003/261)
          - gnome-pilot (Palm Pilot sync)
          - gnome-system-monitor
          - gthumb
          - usermode (Tools for user account management tasks)

          - gcalctool (gnome-calculator replacement - was LSARC 2002/319)
          - gucharmap (gnome-character-map replacement - was LSARC 2002/468)
          - startup-notification (galf replacement - was LSARC 2002/493)
          - vino
          - zenity (gdialog replacement)

          - gimp (not supported - Multilayer Image Editing)
          - gphoto2 (not supported - Digital Camera Interface)
          - gtkam (not supported - GUI interface for gphoto2)
          - planner (not supported - Project Management/Scheduling)
          - totem (not supported)

        + GNOME Applets

          - AccessX Status Applet
          - Battery Status
          - Multiload
          - Wireless
          - Sticky Notes
          - Netstatus
          - gnome-address (address search)
          - gnome-keyring
          - gnome-netstatus (Network Monitor Applet)
          - gnome-pilot
          - now (SunONE calendar Server Client)
          - quick-lounge (preferred application organizer)
          - webeyes

          - Weather (not supported)

        + Themes

          - blueprint
          - blueprint engine
          - blueprint-cursor-theme
          - sun-gdm-themes

        ARCed for GNOME 2.0
        ===================

        Umbrella case LSARC 2001/201 "Gnome 2.x on Solaris"
        LSARC 2002/058 "Gnome 2.x Applications" was used for applications not
        having a specific ARC case.

        + Accessible Technologies

          - at-poke (AT test tool)
          - at-spi, atk, libgail (LSARC 2001/650)
          - gnome-mag (LSARC 2002/525)
          - gnome-speech (LSARC 2002/516 and LSARC 2002/772)
          - gnopernicus (LSARC 2002/286)
          - GOK (LSARC 2002/292)

        + Infrastructure

          - popt
          - libpng, libtiff, libjpg
          - libxml2, libxslt
          - bonobo-activation
          - eel
          - gconf (LSARC 2002/146)
          - gnome-common
          - gnome-desktop
          - gnome-vfs
          - glib/gtk+ (LSARC 2001/384, 781, 2002/669, PSARC 2001/804)
          - gnome-mime-data
          - gtk2-engines
          - intltool (LSARC 2003/030)
          - libart_lgpl
          - libbonobo/libbonoboui
          - libghttp
          - libgnome, libgnomecanvas, libgnomeui (LSARC 2001/483)
          - libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui
          - libgtkhtml
          - libIDL
          - libwnck
          - nautilus-media
          - ORBit2
          - pango
          - scrollkeeper (LSARC 2001/317, 2003/033, 191, 214)

        + Applications

          - control-center (LSARC 2001/352)
          - eog (LSARC 2002/349)
          - gedit (LSARC 2002/446)
          - ghex (LSARC 2002/448 - not shipping in 2.6)
          - glade/libglade (LSARC 2002/147 - glade is not supported)
          - gnome-applets (LSARC 2002/333, 334, 335, 336)
          - gnome-audio
          - gnome-media (sound recorder, volume control, cd player -
                         LSARC 2002/320, 464)
          - gnome-panel (LSARC 2001/348)
          - gnome-session (LSARC 2002/688)
          - gnome-terminal (LSARC 2002/058)
          - gnome-themes
          - gnome-user-docs
          - gnome-utils (gnome-dictionary, gnome-search-tool -
                         LSARC 2002/329)
          - gperfmeter (LSARC 2002/311 - not shipping in 2.6)
          - gprocview (LSARC 2002/375 - not shipping in 2.6)
          - gpdf, ggv (LSARC 2002/447)
          - Java Media Player (LSARC 2002/337)
          - linc
          - metacity (LSARC 2001/420)
          - nautilus (LSARC 2001/352)
          - pkg-config (LSARC 2002/747)
          - print-manager (LSARC 2002/467)
          - removable-media (LSARC 2002/552)
          - system-details (LSARC 2002/466 - not shipping in 2.6)
          - system-log (LSARC 2002/465 - not shipping in 2.6)
          - yelp (LSARC 2002/445)

          - gnome-games (not supported - LSARC 2002/401)

        Removed from Cinnabar Heavy
        ===========================

        - expat- Now provided by SUNWlexpt
        - gnome-address-applet - Not considered ready for end-users
        - gnome-vfs-extras - Now use smb:/// method from gnome-vfs itself,
          since support is built for Solaris 10.
        - libxml - Provided by Solaris 10.
        - libslt - Provided by Solaris 10.

        ARCing Will Be Handled By Other Groups
        ======================================

        + Applications

          - Evolution
          - Mozilla
          - StarOffice/OpenOffice
          - APOC
          - Xscreensaver
          - gnome-pilot
          - sys-suspend
          - java-help
          - Glow
          - jds-registration

5. Reference Documents

        Information about the GNOME 2.2 & 2.4 releases:

          http://www.gnome.org/start/

        GNOME Release Notes:

          http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/notes/
          http://www.gnome.org/start/2.4/notes/
          http://www.gnome.org/start/2.6/notes/

        GNOME Public Website:

          http://www.gnome.org

        GNOME Developers Public Website:

          http://developer.gnome.org

        Sun GNOME Engineering Internal Website:

          http://gnome.ireland

        Sun Madhatter Internal Website:

          http://madhatter.ireland

        GNOME Accessibility Project Public Website:

          http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

        GNOME Accessibility Overview:

           http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/access-def.html

        GNOME Assistive Technologies:

           http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/at-types.html

        Other Related ARC Cases:

           LSARC 2003/412 Mercury Standard Edition: Desktop
           LSARC 2003/217 Apoc: Mercury Central Configuration Management
           LSARC 2003/298 Sun Evolution
           LSARC 2003/520 Mozilla 1.4
           PSARC 2000/436 J2SE 1.4
           PSARC 2001/538 J2SE 1.4 Addendum
           LSARC 2002/337 Media Player for Sun Gnome Desktop

6. Resources and Schedule

   6.1. Projected Availability

        This project will be included in Solaris 10.

   6.2. Cost of Effort

        Refer to the PLC documentation which includes P&L for the project.

   6.3. Cost of Capital Resources

        Refer to the PLC documentation which includes P&L for the project.

   6.4. Steering Committee requested information
   6.4.1. Consolidation C-team Name:

               Desktop Cteam/GNOME

   6.4.2. Contributing OpCo/BU/Division Name:

               SunONE Desktop Solutions

   6.4.3. Type of SC Approval needed:

               Standard

        6.4.4. Project Boundary Conditions:

               Project Boundary Conditions were approved by the
               Solaris-PAC (SOESC) as part of the Gnome Program approval
               8/20/2002. A revision to these Boundary Conditions is expected
               no laer than 10/03/2003.

    6.4.5. Is this a necessary project for OEM agreements:

               No

    6.4.6. Notes/Dependencies:

               Mozilla, Evolution, and Dynasty are dependent on Cinnabar Heavy.

               GNOME is dependent on the core Xserver technology and
               and Xserver extension support.  This includes:  Xrender, XEvIE,
               Virtual Frame Buffer, X Notification of Screen and
               Cursor Changes, XKB, XInput, Xscreensaver, Xft (freetype),
               Dirty Region, and STSF.

               GNOME is also dependent on Java (J2SE) 1.4, including for the
               Java Accessibility Bridge.

    6.4.7. Target RTI Date/Release:

               S10

    6.4.8. Target Code Design Review Date

               Completed.

    6.4.9. Did this project have prior SOESC approval for a
           Marketing Release and now your requesting to go into an
           Update Release or Early Access CD?

               Yes.

               SOESC approval of Gnome Program approved in Solaris PAC
               (SOESC) meeting of 8/20/2002

   6.5. ARC review type: [Standard/FastTrack/SelfReview]

        Standard

7. Prototype Availability
   7.1. Prototype Availability

        No prototype planned.