Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

On 4/20/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> It introduces a problem with the odd minor number semantics, but that
> might be solvable [1].

I was thinking ftp servers still said 2.16.x, 2.17.x, etc., it's just
that all public correspondence about it and even mailing list messages
and such would all it "16", "17" and so on.  Thus, there is no real
change.  "Gnome 16" -> stable.  "Gnome 17" -> unstable.

> It also begs the question... "What happens when we do bump the major
> number?" Start the next series at 3.20? That's not totally crazy.

Yes, if 2.18.y is the last 2.x.y series then 3.20.y would follow it.
Thus "Gnome 20" naturally follows "Gnome 18" and those worried about
API/ABI promises can check the ftp server numbers (for modules in the
platform or bindings anyway; for modules in the desktop, they have no
promise).