Re: desktop-devel-list Digest, Vol 22, Issue 38

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:26:29 +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
> When GStreamer 0.10 starts, it recursively scans the directories in your
> plugins path for changes. Normally this is just
> $prefix/lib/gstreamer-0.10, so just one directory, they're all plugins,
> the disk activity isn't too bad. Depending on your machine it might take
> a couple seconds to get everything registered. I'd be very surprised if
> it took 10 seconds to register an installed GStreamer.
>
> Running from CVS is another question, because then it has to scan a very
> deep directory structure. This takes considerably more time. Maybe 4
> seconds on my box. This price is only paid by developers working from
> their uninstalled copies, though.

Thomas mentioned a minute for him. There appears to be some performance
issue here?

Either way, we're looking at a many-second thing here, presumably even
for installed copies (think slow-disk machines such as laptops; not
everybody has a quad parallel-ATA RAID server setup). It'd be nice to
tell the user that the startup will be delayed for a few seconds.
Imagine that, for no apparent reason, Firefox suddenly took a minute to
start. I'd kick the thing in the balls and install IE if I were Joe
Random User.

Anyway, besides the point, please come back to my original point: could
one of the current maintainers please provide an overview of the
regressions fixed, which ones are still open and the plan to fix these
other ones before the 2.14.0 release? RCs are end-of-this-month already,
with hard code freeze a mere few days later. There's only a few days
left.

Ronald