Re: My Folders [Re: Special folders in gnome]

Alan Horkan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:15:19 +0100
From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec suse cz>
To: Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Special folders in gnome

Frederic Crozat wrote:

- Not translate folder names in filesystem
- Translate them in File selector and Nautilus bookmarks

I'm still seeing an inconsistency in the file browser. I think they
should be translated there too and not displayed as english folder (same
as Apple).

We already have a (maybe/nearly) working implementation in current
GNOME, which already displays translated names in both Nautilus and file
selector:

cat >Pictures.directory <<EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Name=My Pictures

     ^^^^^^^

Microsoft have finally [1] said they will drop the patronising "my"
prefix.  I hope you were using it only for example.

I'd much prefer if we could have
~/Documents/
    /Templates/
    /Pictures/
    /Videos/
    (keep it simple first, but if you wanted more later
    we could also have folders like:
     /Web Pages/
     /Spreadsheets/
     /Slideshows/
     etc.)

I believe keeping these folders in the Documents folder will help those
who wish to keep their HOMEDIR relatively tidy and uncluttered.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

[1] Microsoft has decided to drop the "my" prefixes for Longhorn